Thursday, April 03, 2008

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

I've put this off long enough, but I've decided to start living a more eco
friendly lifestyle. My first change is the most obivious (and perhaps the easiest)... recycle. It's going to be a little tricky living in a condo, but there are still options. Another problem is that most places (including Cougar Town) only take #1 and #2 plastics. Rude. I'm going to have to start acting like a senior citizen and keep my yogurt containers.

Since I've decided to 'go green', I've become much more aware of what I buy in a store. Now I always go for the least amount of packaging. If it is packaged, I try to only buy what I can recycle. It doesn't hurt to buy in bulk either - which is also tricky when you're shopping for one person. I don't think I'll be able to eat a gallon of potato salad before the expiration date. I'm also in the market for some reusable grocery bags. I'll probably just buy them from Sig Pro. We have a surprising amount of earth friendly/organic/whatever else to choose from - and I can probably get a deal from the owners.

Next is my transportation. The radiator in my car blew up (funny story, by the way) and I figure I should buy a new car before my poor sub kicks the bucket for good. I want to buy a scooter. It's one of the most fuel efficient things out there. Their retro style (if you buy the right one) doesn't hurt either. I will probably have a normal car as well, but what's the point of using all that gas if it's just me driving around? Answer: none. Solution: Scooter. The trouble is, my family thinks a scooter will result in my untimely demise...but I'm not bothered by that. At least I'd go out in style. Whatever I do end up with will guzzle less gas and not only help my pocketbook, but mother nature too. Woot!

In addition to the few things I've mentioned, I try to unplug my appliances and electronic junk. Turn off the computer and lights. I would like to go the whole nine yards and buy a new fridge, washer/dryer, dish washer, etc...but that's not going to happen any time soon. The few adjustments I am making aren't anything huge, but they're a step in the right direction. If you want to join in, here are a few websites to check out.

If you want to stop getting junk mail, here is a good place to start.

This guy saved all his garbage for a year. Random and a bit gross, but I think he's done something good.

I love Real Simple Magazine...they had some good articles for green newbies.

1 comment:

Me and My Clan said...

Have you thought about looking into the "smart cars" over at the Mercedes-Benz dealership. Their priced in the upper teens, not bad, and they get like 45 mpg. I want one so bad, but don't think I could fit Cody and all his stuff in there. :) They're stinking cute, you should check into them. Here's a website... http://usa.smart.com/